JOIN OUR MAILING LIST TO SEE THE NEWEST ART BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE
Size & Details
Size & Details
A herd of bison depicted on individual antique bookcovers collaged with handwritten letters, vintage postage stamps, math lessons and other found printed treasures. Each bison is hand-illustrated, screenprinted and painted.
- Medium: hand-drawn and painted, screen printed and collaged on vintage book covers, mounted on wood
- Size: 35.25" H x 35.25" W (framed)
- Frame: wood frame with Museum Plexi
- Hardware: ready to hang with D-rings on back
- Part of a limited series each produced with a unique set of rescued materials.
When books fall apart and are headed for that giant library in the sky, that's where I intervene and give them a new life. Dusting off the screen printing gear has been inspiring and I love giving a nod to the techniques which helped me get my start. I studied printmaking in college and during that time spent my non-studio hours printing on anything I could get my hands on. As I return to the printing arts, I'm excited to weave those techniques into my current body of work and see where it takes me.<br><br>Part of a new series exploring iconic Western mammals, this piece employs a handful of my favorite techniques. Look closely and you'll see that each of the small backgrounds that holds the image of a bison is actually the cover of an antique book. Each of these book covers has been cut and trimmed to size and makes the perfect surface to apply my imagery.<br><br>After cutting the book covers, I illustrated, screen-printed, and hand painted each of these images of bison you see here. Each small image is itself a small-scale work of art with its own personality, and when combined with the others, creates a beautiful herd of bison roaming the open plains of Colorado.
Each work in Dolan Geiman’s portfolio is unique and hand-crafted. Works indicated with “limited series” are reiterations of a recurring theme or concept.
A Certificate of Authenticity is available upon request.
- Each piece in a limited series is created with an inimitable collection of found materials: no two are exactly alike, although they may look similar at a glance.
- Details, colors, specific materials, typography and frame will differ from work to work.