We accept a limited number of commissions annually; securing your spot in the queue 9-12 months prior to your desired delivery date is advised. Please submit an inquiry.
Are you currently accepting commissions?
What are your price ranges for commissions?
Our commission minimum is $10.5K. Commissions vary in price based on the medium (collage, metal, or faux taxidermy), scale, and subject matter. We'd be happy to draft an estimate for you. Please submit an inquiry and we will follow up with an overview of our process and initial details we need to provide a price range for your project. A selection of budget-friendly series are available via our Made to Order collections.
How do commissions work?
Most commissions begin with a simple description of your commission vision via our inquiry form. The following
details help expedite our reply:
- (1) The name and/or link to the past Dolan Geiman work most akin to your desired artwork
- (2) Your desired artwork size (roughly), orientation, and medium (collage, metal, or faux taxidermy)
- (3) Your target receive-by date. We then reply with an overview of the process and next available kick-off dates.
Once we arrive at a general direction, size, and budget, we send a commission questionnaire and sketch fee payment request to lock-in a spot in our commission queue. All commissions require an initial $500 sketch fee (applied to project total) then 25% deposit upon sketch approval.
What can I expect when I order a commission?
The timeline for a typical commission is as follows:
- Basic details confirmed & next available kick-off established.
- Sketch fee paid.
- Spot in commission queue secured.
- Commission questionnaire sent via email.
- 4-6 weeks following sketch fee payment, you receive pencil sketches via email (typically 2-3 sketches). We will also send your estimated project delivery date at this time.
- A color sketch and frame options follow, once the pencil sketch is approved.
- Once the color sketch is finalized, Dolan begins preparing for your piece, building the background and sourcing materials (translation: things will be happening quietly behind the scenes).
- At project kick-off, Dolan gets to work on your piece.
- We’ll send progress updates and requests for feedback along the way.
- A final photo will be sent for approval prior to shipping.
Can you give me some examples of past commissions?
See these Past Commission & Custom Art Ideas.
Do you send sketches?
In most cases, after receipt of your sketch fee, you will receive a pencil sketch and/or Photoshop mock-up emailed for review. We'll send a color mock-up prior to the project getting underway.
Do I get to offer feedback during the process?
Absolutely. Feedback is encouraged throughout the process, but most importantly (1) when compiling answers & materials via our initial questionnaire; and (2) when you receive the sketches and/or mock-up for review.
What kind of information do you need from me to make my commissioned artwork?
You are part of the process! We encourage you to gather and send materials for reference in the creation of your commission such as inspiration images, favorite past works, design boards, interior color schemes, personalized touches, etc. Photos of the room where the artwork will hang + detailed wall/furniture dimensions are also useful.
When can I expect delivery of my commissioned artwork?
At project kick-off, production times will vary based on the medium & scope of the project but estimate at least 6-8 weeks. When sending the first round of sketches, we will also include your estimated project delivery date.
Please note that we accept limited commissions annually and recommend securing a spot in the queue 9-12 months prior to your desired project delivery date.
Can I commission an artwork similar to a past work?
Yes, this is a common commission request and something we’re happy to discuss. See Portfolio Suggestions.
Can I commission a site-specific artwork?
Yes. These sort of commissions are best facilitated by sending us photos of the location, paint colors, fabric swatches, design boards, etc. and completing our questionnaire.
How do I pay the sketch fee? The commission balance?
We will send an electronic invoice payable online via bank transfer or credit card. We can also invoice via PayPal, if preferred, or send wire transfer instruction. An old-fashioned check in the mail works, too!
Can we discuss via telephone?
Yes, please complete our Commission Form and request a call in the field Any additional notes.